Sunday, July 7, 2013

Pesto Gnocchi

Although it's been quite awhile since I've posted, we HAVE eaten.  Many times, in fact.  Recently I've started a new job and am gone until past the hour when I'd ideally eat my dinner, and David has started his year of clinical rotations, so we're always on the look-out for quick & easy, delicious & (fairly) nutritious recipes.  I also have this thing about eating seasonally if possible, and this meal fits the bill.  I can look at Pinterest and, if I'm hungry, every food item sounds good.  In making some of the recipes, however, I've found little but disappointment.  Not so with this one.  Granted, tomatoes, cheese, and crispy-outside-chewy-inside potato dumplings in loads of pesto would be hard to ruin.  So here's the plan:

Find some gnocchi at your grocery store.  At mine it's in the freezer section near the pastas.  Once you get it home, don't follow the instructions on the back.  They say to boil and serve, but don't do that.  Instead, heat a large skillet on the stove, add a little olive oil, and then toss in the gnocchi.  Let them sit in a single layer for a few minutes until they start getting crisp on one side.  Jostle them around a bit so they can crisp up all over.  While they're cooking, halve about a pint of cherry tomatoes.  Once the gnocchi is ready, toss in the tomatoes, add 1/3 cup of pesto, and dice up about 1/4 cup fresh mozzarella or pinch off some pieces of goat cheese (your choice - but it's better with the goat cheese).  Stir it all together and enjoy!


No comments:

Post a Comment